Hey from 🇨🇦

Introduce yourself so we can get to know you better.
elveeoz

Hey from 🇨🇦

Post by elveeoz »

Hey all. Relatively new user. I’m an Aussie based in Toronto. Huge vinyl head with a particular thing for 90s hip hop/rnb and 80s soul. Been spending way too much time on the site lately, and have knocked out 11 answers in the past couple weeks. Thought that was a lot until I saw the rankings. Holy shiiiiiiit some people are just incredible.

Happy listening yall.
againinside

Re: Hey from 🇨🇦

Post by againinside »

I'm new to the forum. Hope to see you in the next topics.
angiosperm

Post by angiosperm »

Welcome to the community! It's awesome to see another vinyl enthusiast here, especially one with such great taste in music. 90s hip hop/rnb and 80s soul? That's my jam too! And don't worry about the rankings, it's all about having fun and sharing what you love. Keep rocking those answers, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts!
Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to getgeometry dash
Nanah

Post by Nanah »

Hi guys and welcome! I'm NanaDensin at WatZatSong. :D

That ranking thing is thanks to Shazam, the AHA app and other music recognition softwares. Only Shazamers can find 50 or 100 songs every week. Searching for songs is a hobby that requires a lot of time and patience, a lot of work and personal sacrifice - when you are very active on WatZatSong, you hardly have time to watch a movie or your favorite TV series. :) The best highly active members are mostly in the middle of the ranking, sometimes even at the very bottom. ;)

1 find of a skilled member is worth more than 5-500 Shazam finds. So, the WZS ranking is only an indicator of the number of songs found - doesn't show the quality and skill of the finder, the level of difficulty of the song found or the time spent on the search.

We talked a lot about it with the management, but to date no system has been found that would praise those who really spend hours looking for the most difficult songs. Of course, when you're a regular member, you learn to recognize great finds yourself, and we usually praise those people in the comments or we simply admire their knowledge, ideas and skills. :D

Certainly, Shazamers are also an important part of the site, they save time, give quick answers and do a kind of pre-selection of songs - when we see that Shazam has failed, then we try other ways. However, they have a bit of a bad reputation, because sometimes they get carried away and the ranking becomes too important to them, so it's as if they're in a race, "grabbing" every new request. Some members sometimes get angry because they could have found the song in some other way, but they didn't get there because Shazamers are always faster. That's why the best way for software lovers is to be moderate when using apps, and to try to combine software findings with searching by other methods - in short, not to be too greedy by collecting easy points. :D
Godot

Post by Godot »

Welcome from me as well! I'm relatively new, too.

That being said, I have a slightly different opinion than NanaDensin: I think this viewpoint also misses the whole actual goal of the site (as I understand it): The goal is to find music for people (as fast as possible, because it can be quite torturous to have a song stuck in your head for several days/weeks/months...). Users that pride themselves of finding songs without Shazam etc are missing the same point as people who do it purely for rankings/an internet badge with Shazam, imo. The point is the requester, not the person who finds the song. To be proud of finding a song in various ways is fine, of course, but I think that's what the "Quiz" section is for. No shame in using any tools you have at hand to find a song for somebody if it makes the waiting period for them that much shorter. I would also say that a lot of people do both. I certainly do - sometimes I spend seconds on finding a song, sometimes I have to remove voiceovers, fix the volume, search databases, etc to find one and it takes me a very long time.

Just my 2 cents, no offense, NanaDensin, I get your point!

I hope you have fun and don't worry too much about rankings etc, it's about the joy of helping people find that one song they were looking for!
Nanah

Post by Nanah »

Godot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm Welcome from me as well! I'm relatively new, too.

That being said, I have a slightly different opinion than NanaDensin: I think this viewpoint also misses the whole actual goal of the site (as I understand it): The goal is to find music for people (as fast as possible, because it can be quite torturous to have a song stuck in your head for several days/weeks/months...). Users that pride themselves of finding songs without Shazam etc are missing the same point as people who do it purely for rankings/an internet badge with Shazam, imo. The point is the requester, not the person who finds the song. To be proud of finding a song in various ways is fine, of course, but I think that's what the "Quiz" section is for. No shame in using any tools you have at hand to find a song for somebody if it makes the waiting period for them that much shorter. I would also say that a lot of people do both. I certainly do - sometimes I spend seconds on finding a song, sometimes I have to remove voiceovers, fix the volume, search databases, etc to find one and it takes me a very long time.

Just my 2 cents, no offense, NanaDensin, I get your point!

I hope you have fun and don't worry too much about rankings etc, it's about the joy of helping people find that one song they were looking for!
What I wrote is not intended to disparage anyone, I respect everyone's efforts. Some more conclusions should be added so that you have a better insight into all of this.

I wrote that about Shazamers so that new members don't get a wrong idea about the WZS ranking and their place on the site: when I first came to the site in August 2017., I couldn't solve more than 2 songs, and I got the wrong impression that I had no idea about music and that the other members are geniuses. :lol: Then someone told me that there is a little thing called software. ;) I almost left the site in the mistaken belief that I'm not good enough for this. :shock: :lol: And without false modesty, this site gained a lot by my stay. Every week there are some songs on the site that only I can solve - or find fast enough - for 6,5 years. If my writing about software and ranking will deter at least one person from leaving the site, then I have achieved my goal.

So, I wanted to encourage new members to stay if they found themselves in this hobby. At WZS, good music from all time periods and genres is constantly being played, and besides the fact that we have the opportunity to help others, we can learn about music that we would otherwise never have heard of. And of course, collectors can find the next interesting record to buy.

I wasn't offended, don't worry, even though you jumped a bit with the conclusion that requestors and response speed are not a priority to me and to people like me. Requestors are my top priority, but speed not so much, because if everything was in Shazam, then this site would not be what it is, it could be renamed to Rent-A-Shazam. :lol:

It's not a matter of our opinions, but of the very nature of things: the software offers ready-made answers in a few seconds. It's in every way incomparable to other types of pursuits that involve effort, discipline, time, knowledge, talent and experience. A software answer never has the same power as a non-software answer. That's just the way it is. :D