Is there way for the site owner/technical team to extract full audio files from samples that seem otherwise unsolvable?

Suggestions and comments should be left here.
jdjdk

Is there way for the site owner/technical team to extract full audio files from samples that seem otherwise unsolvable?

Post by jdjdk »

If so, it would help with samples that have received interest and seem unsolvable right now. There have been a few times where the 30 second sample cut off shortly before the title of the song was sung, and if there was a way to hear the full files as they were uploaded in the first place, there'd be more success in identifying songs on the site. Especially for the real old samples where the OP is no longer active. I know the 30 second cutoff is to avoid copyright but with some songs there's no other way to solve them.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is there way for the site owner/technical team to extract full audio files from samples that seem otherwise unsolvab

Post by admin »

Honestly, we've been thinking a lot towards resolving this issue, but if we allow uploads bigger than 30 second, we will for sure have copyrighted issues. Any suggestions are welcomed

jdjdk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:54 pm If so, it would help with samples that have received interest and seem unsolvable right now. There have been a few times where the 30 second sample cut off shortly before the title of the song was sung, and if there was a way to hear the full files as they were uploaded in the first place, there'd be more success in identifying songs on the site. Especially for the real old samples where the OP is no longer active. I know the 30 second cutoff is to avoid copyright but with some songs there's no other way to solve them.
jdjdk

Re: Is there way for the site owner/technical team to extract full audio files from samples that seem otherwise unsolvab

Post by jdjdk »

If it's possible to do that with old samples now, then my idea would be to have the full file at least privately messaged to the person looking to solve it, if having it posted in public would be an issue. I can post a link to the specific sample(s) I have in mind, if you like.
lu80

Post by lu80 »

admin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:59 pm Honestly, we've been thinking a lot towards resolving this issue, but if we allow uploads bigger than 30 second, we will for sure have copyrighted issues. Any suggestions are welcomed

jdjdk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:54 pm If so, it would help with samples that have received interest and seem unsolvable right now. There have been a few times where the 30 second sample cut off shortly before the title of the song was sung, and if there was a way to hear the full files as they were uploaded in the first place, there'd be more success in identifying songs on the site. Especially for the real old samples where the OP is no longer active. I know the 30 second cutoff is to avoid copyright but with some songs there's no other way to solve them.
A suggestion would be to give people the opportunity to select the 30 seconds they want after uploading a sample.
Not everyone knows how to use audio tools to edit a sample before uploading it.
So if you could upload an mp3 file longer than 30 seconds and then have sort of a timeline where you can drag a time window of 30 seconds around until you found the best part of that mp3 file and then use that as your sample, it could help solving the problem.

Sure it might make uploading a sample a bit more complex than it is now, sure there still will be people who won't bother to find the best part of their mp3 although they're asked to do so, sure that's not easily implemented and sure it won't solve the problem with old samples, but it is at least a chance to improve the quality of future samples.
lu80

Post by lu80 »

jdjdk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:10 pm If it's possible to do that with old samples now, then my idea would be to have the full file at least privately messaged to the person looking to solve it, if having it posted in public would be an issue. I can post a link to the specific sample(s) I have in mind, if you like.
Automatically messaging a longer sample to people is exactly the same as offering those samples in a longer version right away, even if you do it privately. A copyright issue isn't based on the way how you make a sample available, it's purely based on the length of the sample.