Proposal for your own samples

Suggestions and comments should be left here.
lu80

Proposal for your own samples

Post by lu80 »

Don't know if this has already been discussed before, but in my eyes this is a bit of a problem.
I've seen it a few times and now it happend to me too, i found out the name of my own sample.
Yet, i can't create a proposal for it, neither can i close it.
I added the artist, the song name and the youtube link as an answer, i the hope someone would just take it an create a proposal, but that didn't happen.

This means, that sample will probably be marked as "unnamed" forever.

I don't see the benefit. I mean, for as long as there is no other proposal at all for your sample, why can't you just create a proposal yourself?
It doesn't even need to be marked as confirmed by you, but just leaving it in the "Without Proposals" lists forever, seems wrong to me.

I've also been told i can request a delete for that sample, but that seems wrong too.
This site isn't just about naming songs, at least for me it's also about discovering songs.
Looking through the confirmed lists of other people who seem to have a similar music taste, often gives you new songs to listen to.

So my question is, would it be so bad if you just could create a proposal for you own samples within certain boundaries?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Proposal for your own samples

Post by admin »

Thank you Lu for your proposal. The only downside I see is the fact that abusers will stat posting their own proposals to samples and confirm as the right one. In those cases, we have to just not allow them to confirm their own proposals. Any other suggestions?
BookOfBen

Post by BookOfBen »

If you answer your own proposal, it shouldn't give you points for ranking/badges.
NY80sTapes

Post by NY80sTapes »

I know this thread is nearly two years old but I couldn't find a more recent one about this topic - I searched for the word "own" and this one was the closest hit.
The point about abusers is well taken. Maybe such users can be treated the same as those who post the same sample multiple times. The FAQ doesn't say what the punishment is - suspension, expulsion, whatever your protocol should be used the same. I'm guessing there's no easy way to prevent doing that programmatically - there are always those who will exploit loopholes. So you count on users' good faith. I have a situation now where I have solved one of my (many) posts. I'm sure most users would like this option and use it in good faith.
Thanks for your consideration.
lu80

Post by lu80 »

admin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 am Thank you Lu for your proposal. The only downside I see is the fact that abusers will stat posting their own proposals to samples and confirm as the right one.
NY80sTapes wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:59 pm The point about abusers is well taken.
I actually don't get the fuss about all this. I mean, what's this site about?
About being the best in a competition list or about solving song names?

Also, it is as easy to delete accounts programmatically who mainly solve their own samples, like it is to programmatically post and solve your own samples.
So where's the damage?
goodcall

Post by goodcall »

I agree with both suggestions. Allow users to clean-up themselves with their own proposal, but also ensure that no points are given for any ranking as proposed by BookOfBen.
lunadam

Post by lunadam »

goodcall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:41 am I agree with infinite craft both suggestions. Allow users to clean-up themselves with their own proposal, but also ensure that no points are given for any ranking as proposed by BookOfBen.
I think so